Thursday

I Have a Fear

this post is mostly for me. it's a pure pregnancy blab, so if you're not into that kinda thing i suggest you click away and maybe try one of my favorite blogs here. i blogged about my first pregnancy (although not as much as i wish i would have) and don't want this one to feel left out (i do want to get our blog printed into a book.. someday).

my fear might seem irrational to some. to me, it's very real and the nightmare i had last night solidified that. you all know how fast my labor was with norah (if not, read it here). i didn't know i was a 7, people. i didn't know i was in labor. what would've happened if i didn't have a doctor's appointment that day? so here's my fear: i am terrified of having to give birth to this baby (or any baby for that matter) at home/in the car/anywhere that's not a hospital. i've heard three stories of the news of it happening within the last month and i've had two friends tell me "oh my aunt had to do that." thanks. that helps. as soon as my doctor walked into the room at my first visit, i made him well aware of the possibility. he agreed and proceeded to joke to joe about bringing lots of towels. thanks. that helps. what does help is that we live 1.4 miles from the nearest hospital. phew. (although, it's not the one my doctor delivers at. bummer.)

i don't remember craving anything when i was pregnant with norah. this one is a different story. i ate a whole cucumber today (and yesterday).
[side note: i found a really cool website after looking up the nutritional value of cucumbers and wondering if it is healthy to devour a whole cucumber, everyday. it's called Nutrition Data. check it out here.]
anyway, other things i have been eating like crazy include apples. peeled (i know, i know there goes the nutritional value). sliced thin. daily. peppered beef jerky. i'll eat it 'til my sinuses are burning. jack link's brand only. the last thing on my list of consumption is chicken. double yuck.

i finally felt this baby move. with norah, i swear i felt her at 12 weeks. i am now 17 weeks and just barely feeling the little peanut squirm. i'm hoping this means one thing and one thing only: that this baby is a little more laid back than our lovely sassa-frass (love her, by the way).

it's true what they say, your core muscles "remember" pregnancy and just give in once another one comes around. the ugly truth: my garments come up to my belly button and i can't button my pants.
guess it's time to whip out the maternity clothes.
or make some.
hm.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Lauren...that is one of my fears too!! I too had a very easy labor, didn't know I was in labor at all and then only had to push once and his head crowned, three pushes and he was out. We always joke that with the next one I'll just sneeze and it'll come out. Anyway, I totally get your fear! Not that I need to worry about it yet, but in the future, I'm sure I'll be worrying about it even more. However, I wouldn't worry too much, I'm sure it'll all be fine! PS...Ashley from Make it and Love it is one of my best friends! I love seeing people that I know that I know don't know her personally in love with her blog. She's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, after reading that, I think its great that you live so close to a hospital. :-) You may not be able to travel anywhere the last month though. I couldn't either so I know it can be done ;-)
    Good luck. I remember all too well the fears that come along with each pregnancy. Each one is so unique in its own way that I totally feel like it makes us new moms all over again. About the kicking thing- I really don't think you should regard it. Brooklyn kicked like crazy and she is a ball full of energy. Mason kicked not as much but he was so laid back when he came out that I was surprised I could feel him at all. Dallas kicked the most (or I was so worried about him that I noticed it the most. i'm not sure which). And he is even more laid back than Mason was. It has a lot to do with personalities I truly think. :-) Good luck Lauren. Enjoy the sleep and time being pregnant.
    p.s. I used rubber bands on my jeans and bought a belly band and I as able to wear my non preggo jeans almost until the 9th month! It was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you know what would help the fear - prepare for what would happen if the baby were delivered at home. Have a bag ready with everything you would need for a delivery. Watch a few videos of at-home deliveries. Talk to a midwife or someone who has had their baby at home to see what you can do to prepare. Then plan: What would Joe do? What would you do? Make an action plan, and then you don't have to be scared of what might happen because you know what you would do. Of course, you're still hoping to make it to the hospital, but your fear of the unkown won't be as strong because you'll feel prepared for anything :)

    I'm so excited for you! And now that I'm finally feeling better, we'll have to get together again. i love all the things you've been making! you inspire me to work on a few of my projects.

    ReplyDelete