Friday

Where were you...

On Tuesday September 11, 2001? I was 14, a freshman at Phillipsburg High School in Phillipsburg, New Jersey. I had just gotten out of History class and was on my way to French class when I realized I forgot my textbook. I went back to the classroom and the tv was on, everyone staring up at it. I immediately thought it must be an accident, and then went to class. It was only a few minutes later when more and more information about it was being released: A commercial liner, and then the second tower was hit. I was confused, in shock really. Could this really happen to our country? I remember vaguely an announcement being made over the loud speaker. Being that we lived just an hour and a half outside of New York City, many students had parents working in and around the towers. Many students were excused from school, terrified and worried. My sister and I went home after school (she was a senior) and all I remember doing is watching the tv and calling my mom to make sure she was ok. I couldn't help but think about how blessed we were because exactly a week before, my family was there visiting New York University. It was a somber day. For the next several weeks everyone was a little nicer, a little kinder, a little more compassionate, a lot more patriotic. Unfortunately as time passed, these things slowly dissipated. Let's remember how we felt and acted that day and do it every day!

So, where were you? I didn't realize until I moved out West that maybe I (and others) were affected differently because it hit so close to home (literally). Here's a touching, inspiring video video that I highly recommend watching:

1 comment:

  1. I was 18 and just got to work Down town Easton at the Subway. The place was packed and nobody ate anything, just watched the news. Like you I couldn't believe it.

    ReplyDelete