Monday

Love Languages

The first time I heard about The Five Love Languages (a book written by Gary Chapman) was in a Dating and Courtship class at BYU-Idaho. The concept was new to me but made so much sense. It recently came up in a conversation I had so I thought I'd share it with you.

Basically, there are five love languages. Each person possesses a "language" as to how they feel loved. The five are; physical touch, gifts, words of affirmation, quality time and acts of service. You may "speak" more than one of these languages but for the most part you are "fluent" in one of them. For example, a husband (we'll call him Bob) might not feel loved at all when his wife cleans up after him (acts of service is not his love language) but might be overwhelmed with gratitude and love when his wife tells him how important he is to her (words of affirmation is his love language). Interestingly enough, how we SHOW love is most often the way we FEEL love. So, in this prior example, Bob's wife shows her love by serving him. It is most likely true that this is how she feels loved. Now think about this; if you feel loved through words, speaking another "language" will be difficult (Bob serving his wife). When you understand these concepts and principles in your relationships it can be so so so beneficial. Anyway, if you are interested, click here and take the love languages quiz! It would be interesting to know what your results are!

2 comments:

  1. Test Results:

    Language Score

    Words of Affirmation 9

    Quality Time 12

    Receiving Gifts 0

    Acts of Service 5

    Physical Touch 4

    This was so interresting. I was pretty sure I was words of affermation but I guess I am more Quality time. thaks for the test Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My uncle gave us this book, and while I totally agree with what it's saying, I have never read it all the way through. I need to do that for sure. I'm going to go take the test...

    ReplyDelete