Monday

Week 3 – D is for Dino

Norah is 31 months old

This week we learned about the letter D.  We had a few yucky weather days and when those happen I have about a zero energy level, but we did manage to get some tot school done : )  We had a rather large transition this week when binkie was lost, then found with the end missing!  We had a good chat about how binkies are for babies and who uses binkies and then Norah said, “I’m only a baby at night Mom.”  Later that night she asked for it and when I told her it was broken she said, “Get glue, Mom.”  So funny.  Here’s what we did this week..

 

Tot Trays

DSCF6027

This cute little frog is good fine motor practice.  She had to squeeze him so his mouth opened and then feed the bugs to him.  Removing them was even more of a challenge!

DSCF5946

Placing food picks into a parmesan cheese container.

 

Favorite Letter Dd Book

DSCF6025

This whole “How Do Dinosaurs..” series is adorable and fun to read.  We both really enjoyed them.

 

Tot School Activities

DSCF5803

I made this letter Ee noodle pounding box last week but didn’t get a chance to get it out so she did it this week.

DSCF5806

Here is her letter Dd rice bin.

DSCF5807

She pasted her Dd collage.

DSCF5808

We used our jumbo pointer to learn our Dd vocabulary words, and we reviewed last week’s words too.

DSCF5811

She used her dot marker to dot the letter Dd.

DSCF5813

DSCF5815

We use small round magnets on these sheets and this is always a favorite.

DSCF5817

She used qtips to paint her dinosaur.

DSCF5819

And of course enjoyed some free painting too.

DSCF5820

DSCF5823

I made this color wheel with corresponding colored clothespins.  It is good for fine motor practice as well as color matching/recognition.

DSCF5825DSCF5829

She went on a dinosaur dig!  I looked everywhere for sand (they don’t even put sand in playgrounds anymore!) but couldn’t find what I was looking for, so I bought Moon Sand which turned out to be pretty cool stuff.  Once again, I used a 50% coupon at Michaels and made a couple of trips to get enough.  I buried our baby dinosaurs and she dug away.

DSCF5832

She used a paint brush to brush the sand off the dinos.  It is significantly messier than the rice bin but it was definitely a favorite.

DSCF5835

She stamped her letter Dd.

DSCF5837

And traced it.

DSCF5876

She used her letter D cookie cutter to make D’s with her playdough. 

DSCF5879

The girl is intense with her playdough.

DSCF5907

On one of the yucky days, I brought out our Window Markers and drew our letter and then let her explore them. 

DSCF5914

Am I the only one who remembers lick-and-stick stickers?  I found a recipe to make your own and used it on this little dino color wheel.  She LOVED this.

DSCF5924

DSCF5926

DSCF5928

This was kind of like a dino bingo, she would roll a number and then place a clear stone over the same number on the board.  She thought it was really cool that the numbers would “get big” after she placed them on the sheet.

DSCF5930

That’s concentration!

DSCF5936

I had a feeling she would ask for more lick-and-stick so I made some for our “Mommy D” and “baby d” sort.

DSCF5937

Hair gel in a ziplock bag, taped to her table.  I used this as review and would draw a letter in it, then she would tell me the letter and the letter sound. 

DSCF5938

She thought it felt nice on her face.

DSCF5943

She used a giant pushpin to poke dots in this sheet.

DSCF5944

Then she held it up to the window and looked through the little dots.

DSCF5984

She rolled a dice and fed that number of “leaves” to our “dino.”

DSCF5985

I found these cute little dinosaur eggs for a couple of dollars.  We counted how many eggs there were, then sang a little song about one hatching.  She anticipated the hatching egg every time!

DSCF5991DSCF5997

She used her dinos to make dino footprints!

DSCF5998

Mom’s Favorites of the Week

DSCF5838

I guess we know where Owen’s rank in the family is…

DSCF5867

I was getting ready to wash out these storage bins and Norah promptly removed her boots and shorts and got right in!  Who needs a pool?

 

I printed most of the sheets we used from other websites and if anyone is interested I can start posting the websites, but it will take more time so if no one really cares then I won’t : )

3 comments:

  1. Lauren! These are such cute activities! I want to share them with my sister who has a little girl about the same age. Where did you get these ideas, and how did you have time to make all of this? You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, you are amazing. This is all such cool stuff! I will definitely be stealing some of these ideas and would love the websites to print the stuff out. Where do you buy all this stuff??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Lauren! I am impressed! I really wish we could do preschool together because Mae would absolutely love all of the things you are doing with Norah! Norah is a lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete