Wednesday

Help!

What started out cute has turned lethal. Ok, not lethal, but it's a problem. Norah is addicted to sucking on biceps. She refuses (and when I say refuses I mean all out gags and sometimes throws up when we put it in her mouth) to take a binkie. We have tried four different kinds of binkies of various sizes, shapes and textures. When offered the bicep, however, she will immediately latch on and fall asleep within probably two minutes. It's our fault for letting her do it in the first place but we never thought it would get this far. When she's tired she pretty much will scream until she gets to suck on it! And really, it wouldn't be so bad if the hickies up and down our arms didn't make it look like Joe and I are shooting up drugs or beating each other. I had to convince people in the Doctor's office on Monday that it was infact my seven week old daughter who inflicted these hideous wounds. So, I'm looking for some advice from all you mommy's out there. Is there anything out there that she might enjoy sucking on? Anything remotely flesh like? Any binkie tips? Help!

5 comments:

  1. First, I'm sorry I had to lol! Its just too funny.
    Second, I'm sorry for all the stress you are feeling.

    I think from experience with two kids that woulnd't take plugs that you are going to have to give her options like a blanket, different types of plugs, ect.. but do not give in to the arm. Otherwise you'll start from square one. I'm sorry. Its going to be hard but she needs to cry until she learns another way to sooth herself. Once she finds it. hers and your lives will be easier. Hope that helps. ITs tough I know.
    Brook never took a plug until she was 8 months old then she stopped. Mason never wanted one but he now sucks on the corner of his favorite blanket. That one might be tough for me to break but as long as he's comforted, I don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! What a story about convincing the doctors that it was your daughter leaving marks on your arm! I wish I had some advice for you, but McKyla refused to take a binkie and I was her human pacifier through nursing. Don't reccommed that either, but at least it doesn't leave hickies.....Yikes, good luck, maybe if you always wear long sleeves she won't like sucking on clothes and will stop, I don't know! Let us know......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just stay strong and keep offering it to her, she'll most likely take it eventually. Use the softer textured ones instead of the clear plastic ones and the smallest ones you can find to avoid gagging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah, the gagging thing may be cause its too big. That just sucks though. No pun intended. But Candy's right, you prolly gotta start from square one and she's gotta learn how to comfort herself/be comforted by something other than the arm. I know the cry it out thing is hard, but to this day, sometimes we'll get in the habit of soothing Tatum too much at night and she forgets how to make herself go to sleep, and we have to start over in a sense in that she has to relearn how to soothe herself. Also, I'd be afraid to give her anything "flesh-like" to suck on for fear that she may not be able to spit it out to get a breath if necessary. Although a large chunk of bacon might to the trick...I know that makes me sleepy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew you guys did drugs. Maybe contact Ben for some drug testing?

    Norah is looking chubby. It is so cute!

    ReplyDelete